More recently, it has become a centre for shipping offshore wind turbines.
The slaughterhouse and meat packaging facility, Esbjerg Andels-Slagteri, established in 1887, became Denmark's sixth largest by 1962.
It later became part of Vestjyske Slagterier in 1986, and in 2001, it was acquired by Danish Crown.
The sculpture was designed by Svend Wiig Hansen and installed in 1995.
It hosts branches of the University of Southern Denmark and Aalborg University, Esbjerg is increasingly recognized for its university facilities and sporting activities.
Ultimately, it handled produce from 140 dairies spread across the whole of Jutland.